San Antonio is a wonderful spot for families. A couple of years ago we took a visit to this rich city and marvelled at the incredible history and culture there. It’s definitely a must-visit. This summer is a fabulous time to do so as San Antonio will be turning into a citywide playground for kids and families when they host their first-ever Kidcation Week. Running from August 12-18, this will provide families with the opportunity to have one last big adventure before school starts. In addition to entertainment, events, activities and programming, there will be lots of deals and offers on local hotels, attractions, shops and restaurants.
The event will start on Monday August 12 at 9:30 a.m. with a kid’s band, food, meet and greets with numerous characters and mascots including the San Antonio Spurs Coyote, SeaWorld San Antonio’s Shamu and Six Flags Fiesta Texas’ Bugs Bunny, and more.
Some of the weeks events you can look forward to include:
- Bat Loco: Learn more about San Antonio’s bat community and watch bats emerge under the I-35 bridge on the River Walk for their nightly insect hunt.
- Dessert Cooking Demonstration: RK Group’s Chef Dave will do a cooking demonstration of popular elementary school desserts in Hemisfair park
- Hemisfair Free Movie Nights: Families can enjoy free PG movies in Hemisfair park every weeknight of Kidcation Week
- Vaquerocation: Cowboy Day: Live just like a cowboy on August 14 with cowboy docents, book readings and activity tables at the Institute of Texan Cultures
- LET’S READ! Kids Back to School FEST: On August 18, Main Plaza will be full of Make and Take arts and crafts, airbrushing and hair styling, musical performances, storytelling, book giveaways, an instrument petting zoo and much more
Some of the hotel and attraction offers running during Kidcation week will include:
- Alamo Trolley: Free tour for kids 12 and under with the purchase of an adult tour
- Cheesy Jane’s: Free kids milkshake with any kid’s meal
- El Tropicano Riverwalk Hotel: Milk, cookies, balloons, a coupon for complimentary S’mores and an El Tropicano beach ball upon arrival
- Hard Rock Café: Free kids meal with the purchase of an adult entrée
- Kiddie Park and Kiddie Park Pica Pica: Kids get a free cotton candy when they mention Kidcation Week
- San Antonio’s Incredible Pizza: Free kids buffet or $5 game card
- San Antonio Museum of Art: Free admission all week for kids 12 and under
- SpringHill Suites by Marriott San Antonio Downtown Alamo Plaza: Every child under age 12 will receive a balloon upon check-in and be entertained by a balloon artist from 4 – 5 p.m.
- Omni San Antonio Hotel at the Colonnade: Each child receives an Omnikids backpack at check-in, milk and cookies delivered at turndown on arrival evening and a cookie decorating session with a chef
- Witte Museum: Free admission all week for kids 12 and under (entrance to museum’s Dinosaurs Unearthed exhibit will be $5 for adults and $2 for children 12 and under)
A complete listing of Kidcation Week events and specials can be found www.KidcationWeek.com.