Two recalls were issued today by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), in cooperation with Summer Infant Inc. in regards to 1.7 million Summer Infant video baby monitors and the batteries within the unit. The monitors pose a strangulation hazard to infants and toddlers if placed too close to their cribs.
So far, two strangulation deaths of infants caused by the electrical cords of Summer Infant baby monitors have been reported. In March 2010 a 10-month old girl from Washington was strangled from the cord (the monitor had been placed on top of the crib rail) and in November 2010, a six-month boy from South Carolina was strangled for the same reasons, this time the monitor was placed on the changing table which was attached to the crib.
Another close call occurred with a 20-month old boy from Philadelphia was found with the cord wrapped around his neck. In that situation the camera was mounted on the wall, but the little boy was still able to reach the cord.
New on-product labels will be placed for electric cords and instructions to customers who purchased these monitors between January 2003 and February 2011. The monitors were available in over 40 different models including digital, color and handheld and sold nationwide at various retailers for between $60 and $300. They were sold in more than 40 different models, including handheld, digital, and color video monitors.
Summer Infant and CPSC are urging parents to check the location of their video monitors to make sure that all electric cords are out of arm’s reach. Consumers who have one of these units should contact Summer Infant toll-free at (800) 426-8627 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET Monday through Friday or visit the firm’s website to receive a new permanent electric cord warning label about the strangulation risk and revised instructions about how to safely mount camera and keep cords out of child’s reach.
As a side note the CPSC has also issued a recall for 58,000 rechargeable batteries sold with certain Slim and Secure™ Video Monitors due to burn hazards.