Healthy-ish Brownie Parfaits & How To Make Them!
If you’re looking for something special to treat your mom to this Mother’s Day, look no further. If you’re looking for a dessert you can eat any old weeknight without feeling guilty, again, look no further. These strawberry brownie parfaits are the perfect treat to end any meal. Made with whole wheat brownies (you don’t have to tell your family, they’ll be none the wiser, I promise), fresh ripe strawberries and creamy Greek yogurt, but taste every bit as decadent as their traditional whipped cream and full fat brownie counterpart.
Around here, my husband usually makes a pretty big show out of Mother’s Day dinner, which usually means rich food and a lot of it. I’m totally okay with that, by the way. The bigger the better so long as I’m not doing dishes. He’s a wonderful cook but not the best baker, so I’ll whip up something nice and light to end the meal. I usually lean towards making a sorbet, but this year I’m definitely going to be digging into one of these delightful parfaits after dinner. They’re extra fun for the kiddos to help assemble, so let them help “treat” mom to this special dessert.
Strawberry Brownie Parfaits
For the Brownies:
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil (or coconut oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- 10-12 strawberries, hulled and quartered
- 2 cups honey or vanilla Greek yogurt
- Line a 9″ x 5″ loaf pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking oil. Preheat oven to 325F.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, salt and baking soda. In a medium bowl, whisk together egg, sugar, oil and extract.
- Gently whisk flour mixture into the egg mixture just until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 20-23 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Once cooled, remove from loaf pan and cut brownies into small cubes.
- To assemble, place a few brownie cubes at the bottom of a parfait glass, layer with 1-2 quartered strawberries and about 1/4 cup of yogurt. Repeat layers once, and top with a couple slices of strawberry and a brownie cube. Repeat with remaining parfait glasses. Enjoy!