No-Bake Chewy Granola Bar Recipe
I’m constantly scouring my kitchen for quick pick-me up snacks to take on trips to the park or spur of the moment hikes. I’m not big on buying pre-packaged snack foods so I’m often left with few choices when I’m looking for a shelf-stable snack that doesn’t require refrigeration.
This easy granola bar recipe is the perfect solution for something portable and filling to keep me and the kids going when we’re out and about. Sweet and chewy with a healthy kick, this is one snack you’ll find yourself making again and again.
- 1 ¾ cups quick cooking rolled oats
- 1 ¼ cups rice crispy cereal
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup good quality honey
- 2 Tablespoons ground flax seed (optional)
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- Coat an 8″ x 8″ baking pan with nonstick cooking spray, and line with parchment paper, leaving a 1″ overhang of parchment. Set aside.
- Combine oats and cereal in a large bowl. Stir to combine.
- In a small saucepan, over medium-high heat, bring the sugar, vegetable oil and honey to a boil. Simmer gently for 1 minute. Off the heat, stir in flax seed if desired. Pour honey mixture over the oats and cereal and stir well to combine.
- Scrape granola mixture into prepared pan. Press down hard to flatten with a spatula. Once the mixture has cooled slightly sprinkle mini chocolate chips on top and press lightly to adhere.
- Once the mixture has cooled completely, remove from pan and cut into 1 inch strips. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.