Cappellini Pomodoro ~ Gourmet Style!
As much as I love cooking, some nights I really don’t want to cook. You know those nights where you just don’t have the energy to cook and you’d rather just order a pizza or something? Comfort food with minimal effort? Those are the nights I turn to this recipe for a quick and easy meal that even my super picky toddler loves. It’s simple, fresh and delicious – and it takes less than 10 minutes from start to finish. Plus I feel so much better about serving this to my family rather than ordering a greasy pizza.
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 shallot, minced (about 2 Tablespoons)
- 1 lb of cherry or grape tomatoes, cut in half*
- 1 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper to taste
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- ¼ – ½ cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 12 oz. cappellini or angel hair pasta
1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and shallot and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add tomatoes, vinegar, salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high and continue to cook for 6-8 minutes, until the sauce is thickened slightly and the tomatoes start to break down.
2. Meanwhile, cook pasta according to manufacturer’s directions (cappellini only takes 2-3 minutes to cook, so do this step towards the end of the sauce cooking time).
3. Drain the pasta and return to the pot, toss with the tomato sauce, basil and cheese. Serve with extra parmesan if desired.
*I prefer the smaller tomatoes for this dish, but any tomatoes cut into ½ inch dice will do.