A Word Of Advice About Buying Followers #IGTravelThursday

Screen Shot 2013-12-19 at 8.38.50 AM

I’ve kept quiet for quite some time now and after two years of this phenomenon that I’d like to call “the miraculous rise in Instagram followers,” I’ve decided to give you the honest truth about it. If it wasn’t happening so often, I would probably just keep it all to myself, but since this seems to have become a common trend in 2013,  I think it’s time to shed a little light on the whole thing.

Instagram is filled with photography rockstars. There are travelers that take the most extraordinary photos and make you feel as if you’re traveling with them. They shed light on new locations and show sides to the country or city that you may have not otherwise considered. These users have something that’s very special and that something is what gets them the thousands of followers that they have. That something is called – passion. If you’re really and truly passionate about something and you have the skill to pull it off, magic happens. People will read what you have to say and they will follow you because they want more of what you’re bringing to the table.

Then, there are people who you may follow and you’ll notice that in an hour (or a day), that person has jumped 1,000-5,000 followers. It’s happened to me more times than I can count. Unless you have been featured on Good Morning America or have had a huge amount of press thrown your way, there is no reasonable explanation for a 5,000 follower jump in 1 hour – especially if each and every one of those followers is a bot with one photo to their name.

“But, my numbers aren’t rising fast enough,” you may say. Or perhaps you want the “numbers” to impress a PR rep or agency for an upcoming campaign. Here’s the thing. You can’t fake success. If you have 5,000 or 14,000 followers and 90% of those have been purchased, people know! True followers follow you because they LIKE what you are putting out there and therefore they will again LIKE your stuff. If you have 14 thousand followers and you only get 10 likes on your photos, it’s just one of the many tell-tale signs of a phony account. PR reps notice, your followers notice and your peers notice. Don’t lose the respect of those that you’ve worked so hard to gain because of your impatience.

“So how do I increase my reach? How do I gain more followers?”

Not to sound cliche but – be authentic! What are you passionate about? What are your likes and dislikes? What makes you tick? As a traveler, what are some different perspectives that you can give to the location where you’re at? Can you improve on your photography skills? If so, search online on how to make your photos better. ASK your friends. Join groups such as Instagram Travel Thursday and get involved in linkys. Those are just a few ways to increase your reach.

Remember – you can’t buy true success and dishonesty won’t get you anywhere – ever. In fact, it will do the opposite.

;) You’re welcome.

Oh and by the way if you’d like to follow me, I’m @childmode on Instagram.

29 Responses to "A Word Of Advice About Buying Followers #IGTravelThursday"

December 19, 2013 at 9:17 am

Amen!!! I am so glad you wrote about this. I have seen this trend happening this year too, both on Twitter and Instagram.

2. Christine from Mom's Lifesavers

December 19, 2013 at 11:19 am

Thank you a million times over for this. I have been blogging for over 8 years. Each and every fan I have is an authentic one and you are Right….PR firms totally know. I may not be big in my little niche, but it doesn’t stop big Boston companies for hiring me! Thank you so much for this..it’s excellent!

3. Peter Meyer

December 19, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Great article! I totally agree! Its about passion and being social. I created my Instagram account the last 8 weeks. Now I have 4500 Follower (in that 8 weeks!!) and I get 500-700 likes per pic. I followed people, because I think it’s not Ego Media, it’s named Social Media. I spent lots of time following, liking pics, giving comments. It’s not easy, but if you are with passion, motivation and understanding it will rise. I don’t know where it’s going, as a blogger I should have to hire someone who takes care of my Instagram account. ;) I really like Instagram, but when you stop liking and following, giving comments, you won’t have the interaction as I now have. Difficult to handle as a blogger who is doing everything on his own. Day and night… Katja knows what I’m talking about, right? ;) all in all, it’s the best social community in the world. Better than Facebook, better than Twitter. It’s visual, friendly, fast. Marketing at its best.

Another thing is, I saw some accounts disappearing from time to time. Then they came back with a new account. Saying that they were hacked. I am really scared about that because no one knows what really happened. I don’t wanna lose my account and there should be a secure way to save it. But in that case Instagram has no clear rules. Who helps you when your account is hacked? Support? I think that’s very difficult and for people running a business that could be the beginning of their end. That is my business, my focus. And I don’t really know how to handle with the worst case. Imagine Nike loses their account. Be sure, within 10 minutes, they get it back. But other, smaller businesses?? You know what I mean? For Bloggers that’s a really bad thing and could be their end.

4. Nancy Johnson Horn

December 19, 2013 at 1:46 pm

I knew about the buying of twitter followers (haven’t done that), but I didn’t know that people bought instagram followers. I am proud of my followers and that I’ve got them authentically. Thanks for sharing.

5. Nicole Feliciano

December 19, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Thank you for calling this out. We can’t all be superstars and that’s ok.

6. Reeta @houseofanais

December 19, 2013 at 4:08 pm

So true what you’re saying – i’ve seen people with 15k followers and zero likes on their photos, just so silly…this is a great post!

7. Satu VW / Destination Unknown

December 19, 2013 at 4:27 pm

I join Katja in this one. Perfect post, for a timely topic. So happy you brought this up!!

8. Leigh Powell Hines

December 19, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Well done!
    Well said!
    Applause to you.

9. Nadia Carriere

December 19, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Thank you Leigh! It had to be said…

10. Nadia Carriere

December 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Thank you Satu!:)

11. Nadia Carriere

December 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I don’t think they realize that the world knows. It’s embarrassing (for them).

12. Nadia Carriere

December 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Exactly! Spot on my friend ;).

13. Nadia Carriere

December 19, 2013 at 6:06 pm

And you should be Nancy! Every follower is an honor imo. Those people want to follow YOU. Thank you for reading and taking the time to comment! ;)

14. Lorette Lavine

December 19, 2013 at 6:37 pm

For a time I get followed by someone who advertises followers…I report them as “Spam” and block them. From time to time I “Boost” a post on FB or run an ad …people have followed from my ads but some are engaged some are just voyeurs and some are so sketchy that I have had to block them. What do you think about FB ads? or Post Boosts? I have a feeling they are not worth it and do not gather followers that are worthwhile anyway.
    One of my other problems has been …since I switched my blog from wordpress.com to a .com, my followers have not switched over and I am now getting more traffic on my old blog with no new posts than my .com where I post almost daily…There is something I am missing here but I will not give up. I love blogging and meeting people like yourself. Thanks for this post…Merry Christmas Nadia.

15. Julia A.

December 20, 2013 at 12:10 am

I’ve seen this phenomenon on Facebook, Twitter and now Instagram. Thank you so much for bringing it up, Nadia!

16. Jess

December 20, 2013 at 5:14 am

I sometimes see people with 10 times as many followers then me and barely any comments – I always wonder how they managed to get so many people to follow them when no one seems actually interested in what they post!

For myself, I’m very happy with my steady growth – but I’m happier to see how people engage with my pictures by comments and likes. As long as that’s increasing, I’m happy.

17. Alison Chino

December 23, 2013 at 4:19 am

I did not realize that you could do this. Super interesting.

It’s true though that in most places with blogging and social media, consistent and steady growth is the most healthy pattern. At least for me, there are no short cuts. Just keeping at it consistently is often what a PR person will notice anyway.

18. Lena @ Listen to Lena

December 31, 2013 at 9:07 am

“Oh and by the way, if you are active on Twitter, the same information above applies to you too.” << Bowing down to you. Bowing down.

I recently joined Instagram (on your insistence – thank you!) and am quite aware of the difference between a photography superstar and the "look at me" wanna bes. The thing is, you're absolutely right. Hard work and authenticity will always trump a cheap, quick fix. Great post and definitely one to share!

19. Pingback: The biggest New Year’s Eve Party in IG photos and other Instagram News #IGTravelThursday | Skimbaco Lifestyle | online magazine

20. Mrs. Chasing the Donkey

January 4, 2014 at 4:46 pm

Ohh YES! I have seen this so many times and I am embarrsed for those people. I often wonder when real people like us the unfollow them, how they like IG to a non exsistant audience…?

21. Nadia Carriere

January 7, 2014 at 8:34 pm

You can’t fake it. Success isn’t an easy fix and it takes a lot of hard work! I agree, it’s embarrassing to watch!

22. Nadia Carriere

January 7, 2014 at 8:35 pm

Thank you Lena! :) xo

23. Nadia Carriere

January 7, 2014 at 8:36 pm

Yes! And it’s all about interaction. Your friends/followers who are following you are doing so because they want more of YOU. It’s no fun when you have 13,000 fake bots and no comments/likes. It’s all about the interaction!

24. Nadia Carriere

January 7, 2014 at 8:37 pm

Good for you Jess! Keep up with the great work! :)

25. Nadia Carriere

January 7, 2014 at 8:37 pm

“Growing and nurturing devoted following is like gardening: requires daily hard work, dedication, different approaches and sincere passion. It takes time, effort and patience.”

Beautifully said Julia, I agree completely!

26. Nadia Carriere

January 7, 2014 at 8:38 pm

Thank you Lorette! I do the same! Spam is spam. Hope you had an amazing holiday! xo

27. Haley

January 9, 2014 at 7:53 pm

YES! So glad that you came out and said it. :D Someone needed to. Hehe.

28. Danielle Smith

January 10, 2014 at 10:02 am

Yes. You said it out loud and you are so correct. Passion. Authenticity. They MATTER. Bravo, my friend, bravo. xoxo

29. Nadia Carriere

January 13, 2014 at 10:31 am

They do and I don’t think those buying the followers realize that. I honestly don’t think they know just how damaging it is…