Aug

powwow

Pow wows are a big thing here in Northern Ontario and more abundant than in an either part of the province. I’ve been to several in my life, however the best experience I’d ever had was in Wikwemikong on Manitoulin Island.

With 5 children between us (all 6 and under), my friend and I arrived at the grounds bright and early before any of the festivities started. We walked around, marveled at the arts and crafts for sale, tried on the handmade jewelry and found our seats before the crowd arrived. It turns out, this was the smartest thing we could have done as the area was packed by the time the event began.

Jingle Dresses

I’m a sucker for those beautiful jingle dresses and headdresses, especially when a toddler is wearing them. I asked the mom of these two girls if I could take their photo and she kindly obliged.

There was a boy there who must have been around 4 years old, wearing this beautiful outfit.

Once the dancing began, it was hard to keep our kids still, so we let them dance right along. After the opening ceremonies, guests and visitors are welcome to join the dancers in the ring if they choose.

Have you ever been to a pow wow?

Join us! Bloggers – add your blog post to the linky. Not a blogger? No problem. Join us at Instagram by using hashtag #igtravelthursday and share your travel photos. But sorry- no linking to Instagram images from the linky, just to blog posts.

o

9 Responses to "A Traditional Native American Pow Wow As Documented On Instagram #IGTravelThursday"

August 15, 2013 at 9:37 am

Wow, what a cool experience! I’ve never been to one, but would love to see it. The girls were so cute dancing too :)

2. Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog

August 15, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Such colorful costumes. Beautiful. When I was in TV, I covered a few Pow-Wows. Neat.

3. Joe @ Cosmic Smudge

August 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm

Love the opening shot!

4. Reeta @houseofanais

August 15, 2013 at 5:00 pm

That looked fantastic, there used to be Pow Wows in California near us and we should have gone to see them! It would have been a great experience, I am sure.

5. Lisa Goodmurphy

August 15, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Love your shots of the costumes! We went to the Pow Wow in M’Chigeeng last summer but it was held inside the arena. Not sure if that was just because of the bad weather or if it’s always indoors but it was difficult to get any good photos. I have heard that the Wikwemikong Pow Wow is a must – will have to try and get there next summer!

6. Wandering Sheppard

August 15, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I agree the pictures are really good on this post!

7. Satu VW

August 16, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Those outfits are amazing!! I’ve never been to one but would love to go one day, fair play to you ladies attending with six kids!!!

8. Chasing the Donkey

August 18, 2013 at 8:11 am

I have never been to a Pow Wow, but it’s looks so bright and colourful I’d love to go to one, some day.
    It’s so cute to see the wee ones dressed up… so adorable.

9. Farrah

August 19, 2013 at 3:18 am

These are so beautiful! I lived in Montana years ago and one of my biggest regrets was not ever attending a pow wow. My grandmother was very fond of Native American celebrations and her house was decorated with so many depictions of their culture and way of life.