Quick and easy, this tasty macaroni dish dubbed “Monday Macaroni” is my mother-in-law’s favourite go-to dinner. I have adopted and adapted the recipe and used it plenty of times in my house during those “I have no time but need to make lots of food” situations. It is rich, comforting, and oh so delicious. It is the perfect make ahead meal as well. Prepare the night before and bake it at 375 for 45 minutes and you are good to go.
- 2 cups of aged cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 tsp of Dijon mustard
- 1 cup of milk
- 2 tsp of butter
- 3 tbsp of flour
- 4 cups of large shell noodles
- Italian bread crumbs
- I package of grape tomatoes
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook noodles until noodles are al dente.
- Heat a sauce pan on medium high and melt your butter.
- Make a simple cheese sauce by adding cheese, Dijon, and milk. Whisk until melted and sauce has come together.
- Make bacon in a separate pan, and cook to desired crispiness. Remove from the pan, cool and then chop it up.
- Add chopped bacon to the cheese sauce.
- Put noodles evenly in an 8X10 baking dish.
- Pour sauce evenly over noodles.
- Sprinkle tomatoes and bread crumbs over top of the dish.
- Broil on high until warmed through and a crispy top has formed.