Jul

Posting Horizontal & Vertical Photos On Instagram – #IGTravelThursday

When I first started taking photos on Instagram, I used the app’s camera. That quickly changed when I found that other apps worked much more efficiently and produced a photo quality that exceeded Instagram’s built-in camera, so I began to take photos with those other apps and then upload them into Instagram minutes later.

There have been times that I’ve taken a really great shot that I just can’t bear to crop. Instagram automatically crops your photos into a perfect square and sometimes, depending on the image, you sacrifice the full beauty of the original scene.

The two photos above are just two examples where I had to post the photo in it’s entirety. Cropping it would have ruined the image. The question is – how do you do it?

There is an app called whitegram that allows you to post your horizontal or vertical photos to Instagram in their original state. It’s a free app that comes with many editing options as well, however I’ve never used those myself as the crop feature is what I’m after.

What about you? What’s the one app that you’ve used to make your Instagram Travel photos even better?

Do you take Instagram photos during your travels? Would love to hear your stories and tips! Share your post by adding it to our Instagram Travel Linky below!

9 Responses to "Posting Horizontal & Vertical Photos On Instagram – #IGTravelThursday"

July 18, 2013 at 6:07 am

I hadn’t heard of that one! I’ve used Squareready before and I now have an addiction to editing the photos with snapseed… I used to didn’t edit them much, but I am really digging snapseed now!

2. Reeta @houseofanais

July 18, 2013 at 7:13 am

Cool pictures. Now I am going to try out these widgets too!!

3. Satu VW

July 18, 2013 at 7:28 am

Thanks for this tip, I didn’t know you could do this! I usually use Snapseed for some color correction if needed, but I don’t normally do lot of editing prior publishing the images. Although that said, you can turn a dull photo to something amazing with Snapseed if needed!

4. Kim-Marie Evans

July 18, 2013 at 7:33 am

Am on a press trip with Casey from Babble. We were just talking about what a smart cookie you are and here you are proving it again. You need a blog that’s all about how to blog Nadia, you have forgotten more than I know. This is a fab post. Sometimes IG wants me to crop out one of my children!

5. Desiree Fawn

July 18, 2013 at 9:53 pm

I use Afterlight for those pics I just don’t want to crop! It’s a gorgeous photo editor app :)

6. Elena

July 19, 2013 at 12:01 am

Yes in the cropping issues….had no idea such apps existed (clearly I need to spend more time with you!!). Guess we know what I’ll be playing with on the train back home tomorrow :)

7. Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog

July 19, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Great information. I didn’t know that either. Nadia, thanks for sharing.

8. Monique

July 20, 2013 at 10:18 am

I’ve been using InstaSize and No crop, neither of which I’m crazy about, so your tip about whitegram is right on time!

9. Leigh Powell Hines @Hinessightblog

July 20, 2013 at 5:35 pm

I didn’t have whitegram on the droid, but I found instasize. It works. Yea for you!!!