Food Friday Featuring: Pumpkin Apple Streusel Cake In A Mason Jar!
With summer vacation right around the corner I know many have made the preliminary plans and booked cottages and campsites for the upcoming holiday. I am so excited because this summer will mark my first time taking my girls camping. This clever recipe from Oh She Glows really excited me because it’s a practical and creative way to pack some homemade goodness into your camping menu.
I adapted this vegan recipe to accommodate ingredients I already had kicking around my kitchen, and my cakes were therefore not vegan. Follow the link if vegan is what you prefer, and if not enjoy my version here.
- 1/2 cup + 1/8th cup all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8th tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup pumpkin, pureed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped and peeled apple
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/8th cup coconut oil, melted (or other light tasting oil)
- Streusel, for layering: 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp flour, 1 tbsp butter, 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Sterilize your mason jars in boiling water and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix your dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder and salt).
- In a medium sized bowl mix your wet ingredients (egg, pumpkin, vanilla, milk, oil).
- Add wet to dry and mix well.
- Fold in apple.
- Mix streusel ingredients with a fork until combined.
- Add approximately 3 tbsp. of cake batter into the mason jar and ½ tbsp of streusel mixture, followed by another layer of cake batter and more streusel.
- Place the mason jars on a baking sheet and bake for approx. 20-25 minutes.
- Let cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Serve immediately or store in fridge or cooler for up to 3 days.