Food Friday Featuring: Homemade Rolled Up Fruit Snacks
When I was a kid I loved fruit roll ups. We weren’t allowed to have them too often which made each opportunity to enjoy the sticky, sugary, colourful snack that much more amazing. Now that I have children of my own I completely know why fruit roll ups didn’t make it into the house very often.
When a friend told me that you can make them at home from scratch I jumped at the chance and made my own . After some research I learned various tips and techniques from a few different websites and I now have my “things I would do differently” list for my next attempt. If you have a dehydrator at home then this should be much easier. I used the oven and baked them at a low temp until I felt they were done, around 2 hours.
- 2 cups of fresh (hulled) or frozen strawberries
- 4 tbsp of honey
- 1 tsp of lemon juice
- preheat oven to 175
- Thaw strawberries if using frozen ones. I did this over the stove and then drained the excess liquid
- Add honey and lemon juice to the strawberries
- Puree the ingredients until a consistent, jam like texture is formed
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper
- Spread the jam over the paper and spread out evenly on the pan
- Bake in the oven for 2-4 hours (this is a range because all ovens are different)
- Keep an eye on it until it has baked through but hasn’t turned crispy