One Night in Memphis: 5 Family-Friendly Things to Do and See
This past weekend, my family and I went on an EPIC road trip. A dear friend of mine was getting married on the beach in Alabama, so we decided to make it a mini-vacation and take the whole crew. Alabama is about 14 hours from where we live, so we split the drive in half and stopped in Memphis for the first night. We had never been to Memphis before, so it was a real treat! We had a blast catching some of the BEST Memphis attractions…
1) Book your stay at the Peabody Hotel. The Peabody was amazing and really “made” our trip. It’s an old, historic hotel right in downtown Memphis, within walking distance to so many things. Famous for the Peabody Ducks (real, live ducks who live in the hotel fountain and march twice daily,) it’s a great place to take the kids. The hotel was stunning – old-fashioned and elegant, making our stay unique.
2) Go to a Memphis Redbirds game. Autozone Park is right across the street from the Peabody, making it the perfect family outing. They even have a grass seating option, which is great for little kids who are on the move.
3) Eat some barbecue. Memphis is famous for dry-rub BBQ, different from the saucy stuff I grew up with in Kansas City. I will say I’m a KC BBQ girl at heart, but Memphis has many great options, too. We dined at Rendezvous, an alley-way, underground restaurant, famous for their charcoal ribs.
4) Take a stroll down Beale Street. Beale Street is one of the main attractions in Memphis, but at night, it’s not so kid-friendly. With little ones in tow, make sure to do this during the day. Enjoy live music, restaurants, and shopping on this famous street.
5) Visit the Lorraine Hotel. Just a few blocks from downtown Memphis, is the historic spot where Martin Luther King Jr. was shot. Take the family for a brief visit to this humbling and sacred place.