Food Friday Featuring: Apple Crumble Muffins!
I work next door to a café that makes the most amazing apple crumble muffins. I go there just for these muffins and way too frequently, I admit. The sugary, crumbly top is the most complimentary to the cakey bottom, filled with fresh apple. The crumble top definitely makes it a more decadent muffin option but who doesn’t love a nice sweet treat now and then? I adapted this recipe so slightly substituting applesauce for the vegetable oil.
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp. flour
- 1/4 cup of butter (melted)
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups firm packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil (or apple sauce is great substitute!)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 2 cups peeled, diced apples
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Grease and flour tins or line with cups
- Combine topping ingredients until crumbly.
- To make batter, combine brown sugar, vegetable oil (or apple sauce) and egg in bowl.
- In a separate bowl combine buttermilk, baking soda, salt and vanilla.
- Blend flour into sugar and oil mixture alternately with buttermilk mixture.
- Stir just until combined. Fold in diced apples.
- Spoon batter into muffin tins and sprinkle generously! with topping.
- Bake regular sized muffins for 30 min. or until top springs back when touched