Food Friday Featuring: Greek Style Spinach Pie
This Greek style dish has become a favorite in our household. Adapted from Ina Garten’s Spinach Pie recipe, I have made some changes along they way and it always pleases the crowd. The buttery, flakey phyllo crust is perfectly paired with the flavorful spinach mixture and when my four year old asks for seconds, I know it’s a winner!
- 3 packs of frozen, chopped spinach
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 large eggs beaten
- 3 tbsp bread crumbs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup of crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup of melted butter
- 6 sheets of phyllo pastry
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Saute the onions in olive oil until clear and slightly brown and then add the salt and pepper and allow to cool.
- Squeeze out the liquid from the defrosted spinach and put into a large bowl and then add the eggs, onion, cheeses and bread crumbs.
- Butter an 8 inch pie plate and line it with 6 sheets of phyllo pastry and let the excess hang over the edge of the dish. Brush each sheet with melted butter while stacking.
- Pour the spinach mixture into the dish and wrap the excess pastry up over the spinach like a package. Brush each piece and the top of the pie well with butter.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the pie is golden brown.