Food Friday Featuring: Light Mini Carrot Muffins
This morning, my plan was to make something semi-healthy that would hopefully carry us through the weekend, a snack that would be small enough for little hands. Baking is always a good option for making batches of treats which are tasty but aren’t always the healthiest snack option. So, with a little research I was able to come across this recipe, which seemed to meet (most of) my criteria.
I liked it because it called for yogurt, not much oil (I didn’t add any, but used applesauce instead) and I was able to add an extra ½ cup of carrots. By baking them in mini muffin tins they are the perfect “2 bite” snack size. These sweet treats came out super fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness.
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup plain yogurt
- 4 tbsp. canola, grapeseed or other mild oil (use same amount of applesauce if substituting)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 3 carrots, shredded (about 2 to 2 1/2 cups)
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg, ground
- 1/2 tsp. ginger, fresh grated (or 1/4 tsp. if using dried)
- Pre heat oven to 375F and line or spray muffin tins.
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- In a separate bowl whisk together egg, yogurt, oil (or applesauce), and vanilla.
- Add wet mixture to dry mixture until combined.
- Fold carrots into batter.
- Spoon into muffin tins and bake for 18-20 min.