Today’s Food Friday post is dedicated to smoothies. Recently I have incorporated smoothies into my daily routine and it has been awesome. With our busy schedule and kids to constantly feed I have found whipping up a big smoothie for us in the morning has been a great solution for making sure we are getting the good stuff.
This is my “entry level” smoothie recipe. I like to add different things but always keep these ingredients as a base.
- 1 cup of plain yogurt
- 1 banana
- 6 strawberries (I keep frozen berries for my smoothies – I like the cold, icey texture it gives)
- 4 large handfuls of spinach or kale leaves
- a splash of juice to loosen up the mix
Here are some other healthy ingredients to add to your smoothie.
- avocado for creaminess
- nut/seed butters for extra protein
- honey for extra sweetness
- coconut water
- watermelon, the juices are so good
The possibilities are really endless and it can be fun to experiment and try different combinations.