This Christmas I was given a Kitchenaid stand mixer and let me just say that my culinary dreams have come true. It is seriously one of the best appliances you could have in the kitchen – a total game changer.
My favourite of it’s attachments is the dough hook that actually brings dough together in a matter of seconds. It is a thing of magic people! I actually thought I heard angels singing while watching this process.
The recipe I used for today’s post is from the cookbook Peas and Thank You. It’s an adorable vegetarian cookbook based around cooking for your family. When I first read the recipe for soft pretzel twists I was instantly salivating. And, I knew this salty, yeasty, chewy snack would come together beautifully using my new best friend (ahem) the stand mixer.
- ¾ cup warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast (1/2 packet)
- 2 ½ cups unbleached all-purpose flour (with up to an additional ½ cup for kneading)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter (or vegan margarine)
- 10 cups water
- 2/3 cup baking soda
- 2 tablespoons coarse-ground sea salt
- Combine water and sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer. Sprinkle yeast on top and let sit until foamy, about 5 min.
- Add flour, salt and melted butter, and using a dough hook, knead dough for five minutes, adding more flour if necessary, until dough is smooth and no longer sticky.
- Transfer dough to an oiled bowl and let rise for one hour
- Once dough has risen, separate it into four to eight sections. Using your hands, floured if necessary, roll dough into a 24-inch strand (or a 12-inch strand for a smaller pretzel), and shape into a pretzel knot.
- Transfer pretzels to a baking sheet lined with parchment paper that has been sprayed with cooking spray.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees
- Bring water and baking soda to a boil, and drop a pretzel in one at a time, boiling for approximately 30 seconds.
- Remove pretzel with a slotted spoon and transfer to a baking sheet that has been sprayed with cooking spray. Repeat for remaining pretzels and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 12 to 14 minutes.