This is a great go-to recipe if you are looking to use up some ingredients kicking around your pantry or fridge. I always have bits and pieces left over from previous meals, why not combine them inside of a sweet, healthy casing? Hearty stuffed peppers are extremely versatile and easy to make on any night of the week – and I am all about easy!
This recipe came to me from a a girlfriend who picked it up here, made some changes, and passed it along to me. This is my version of this yummy favourite, but don’t be afraid to mix it up to find an interesting flavour. Stuffed peppers are there every week, but they never have to be the same twice!
- 1 ½ cups of vegetable broth
- 1 package of quinoa
- 1 cup canned garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 packed cup chopped baby kale
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) crumbled feta cheese
- 3 Tbs extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 medium red bell peppers
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper
- 1 medium orange bell pepper
- Hot water, as needed
- 1 packed cup fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus extra, as needed
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus extra, as needed
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Filling: In a medium saucepan, bring the vegetable broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and stir in the quinoa. Cover the pan until all of the liquid has been absorbed, about 12 – 15 minutes.
Put the quinoa in a large bowl and add the beans, kale, feta and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste and stir until all the ingredients are combined.
Open the tops off the peppers and remove all the ribs and seeds. Stuff the peppers with the filling and drizzle the tops with olive oil. Put the peppers in an 8 by 8-inch square baking dish. Fill the baking dish with 3/4-inch hot water and bake until golden and the peppers are cooked through, about 55 to 60 minutes.
Sauce: In a blender, combine the basil, sour cream, olive oil, water, garlic, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper. Blend until smooth. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper, to taste.
Remove the peppers from the oven, spoon the sauce on to the peppers and serve.