Like most Apple fans out there, I was ready and waiting by the computer at 1:00 p.m. EST to hear the latest announcement on the new iPhone 5. So what’s the scoop? How does the phone differ from the 4S and what’s so great about it?
There are plenty of posts out there that get into the nitty gritty with lots of technical details and information. What I’m going to provide you with are the basic facts on the iPhone 5 as well as the new iPods and OSX6 software.
- This is the thinnest and lightest phone Apple has ever built. 20% lighter than the 4S, weighing in at 112 grams. The screen is now 4 inches tall, which is larger than the previous phone (width has not changed).
- They have added “Ultrafast Wireless” and the phone is now LTE capable (a faster service supported by Spring, AT&T and Verizon in the USA and Rogers, Telus, Bell, Fido and Virgin in Canada).
- 2x faster CPU, 2x faster graphics compared to the A5 chip (new phone is equipped with the A6 chip). This means your apps will load 1-2x faster.
- The camera will offer 8-megapixel sensor, a 5-element lens and f2.4 aperture. Same camera as the iPhone 4S. There is now a sapphire lens crystal cover and a new image processor to reduce noise. The camera is supposed to work better in low light. It is also 40% faster when shooting. Video is 1080p however they have added better video stabilization and there is now facial recognition. You can also take photos at the same time you are shooting video. The front facing camera is better quality than before to boot.
- FaceTime is available over cellular networks.
- The audio system has been improved with three microphones (front, back and bottom).
- The have changed the connector to “Lightening’
- iOS 6 will be included and is rolling out on September 19th for all older devices. The upgrade is pretty cool. A new Maps app with a built in search engine. Passbook allows you to see your coupons, movie, plane and concert tickets all in one place. The shared Photo Stream feature lets you share photos as you take them to family and friends. VERY cool!
- The iPhone 5 will be available in white or black and pre-orders start on Friday the 14th, shipping on September 21st in the US, Canada, UK, Germany, France, Australia, Japan, Hong Kong and Singapore.
- The iPod Nano is updated with a 2.5 inch display that is multitouch, home button and new home screen. It will be available in seven colors black, purple green, blue and red. Longest battery life thus far with 30 hours of music playback.
- The 5th Generation iPod Touch will be equipped with a A5 processor it is 7x faster with graphics. 40 hours of music playback and 8 hours of video. It will offer a 5 megapixel iSight camera,, backside illuminated, f/2.4, 5 element lens and sapphire crystal lens cover. I love the wrist strap addition! Lets you hang on to the device more securely. There is 1080p video now and 720p camera for FaceTime on the front.
Apple has redesigned their ear buds. They now offer a directed speaker port that points directly into your ear cannal. They are defined by the geometry of your ear but don’t create a seal like previous sets. There are three ports one in the back, the stem and the main one pointing to your ear. You can purchase these now online for $29, but they will be a standard with all new iPod Touch, iPod Nano and iPhone 5 devices.
And that’s a wrap! Will you be picking up any of these new devices?