Food Friday Featuring Gluten-Free Italian Stuffed Mushrooms
I’ve mentioned in the past that I cook for a total of six people every night. Four adults including my parents, my husband and I, and the two children. This can be trying because everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and I’m not talking about the kids. Not only does everyone have their own tastes they prefer, but there are some diet restrictions as well.
I usually end up making something that I hope will please the kids most, but recently my Mom has cut gluten out of her diet for medical reasons, and to support her I have been trying to make more gluten-free options, especially vegetarian ones to help her out even more and get some more veggies in to my family. I’m fairly used to cooking with little gluten, so I am able to easily think of ways to substitute or get creative.
This week I cooked up one of her favorites, Stuffed Mushrooms, but instead of adding the standard bread crumbs that I’d usually add, I added canned smashed navy beans. Not only did this make the meal gluten-free, but it also allowed for the mushrooms to provide any protein required.
Trust me when I say that you’ll be licking your spoon while you make these mushrooms, they are so flavorful!
Happy Food Friday!
15 Large Button Mushrooms
1/4 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/2 can navy beans
1 stalk of celery, chopped
1/4 cup parmesan cheese (or nutritional yeast for dairy free)
1 cup grated cheese (reserve 1/2 for topping)
3 chopped sundried tomatoes
1. Core mushrooms and dice stems. Set stems aside and place mushrooms on making sheet
2. Dice onion and garlic and sautee in pan with mushroom stems until golden brown. Remove and put in bowl.
3. Add diced celery, sundried tomatoes, and navy beans. Mash roughly wish potato masher.
4. Add Parmesan and grated cheese and stir well to combine.
5. Stuff mushrooms with filling, top with remaining cheese and bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes until golden brown.