Food Friday Featuring Simple Fresh Tomato Pasta
Way back when I was pregnant with my second child, and my first was on the cusp of his first birthday, my husband and I ventured out West to Southern California for a family vacation. It was a memorable trip that left me wanting more, and one of my most fond memories is of the delicious food we ate while there.
Have you ever tried something at a restaurant that you loved and tried to replicate it at home? I have done this a handful of times, and one of those dishes was a very simple pasta we tried at a chain restaurant that is local to California.
After years of attempting to get the recipe just right, I have come up with something that, if memory serves me correct, is very close to the original. Today I wanted to share the recipe with you, since it is truly perfect for the summer months, especially when tomatoes are ripe and in season.
Enjoy this flavorful and simple weeknight pasta dish.
Simple Fresh Tomato Pasta
3 large tomatoes or 6 small
2 tbsp olive oil
4-6 cloves of garlic, sliced or diced
salt & pepper
Parmesan or Romano cheese, grated
Pasta of your choice (450 g)
1. Dice tomatoes and garlic and sprinkle tomatoes with sea salt, it helps to pull out the juice of the tomatoes.
2. Heat oil in large pan and add garlic until browned. Add tomatoes and saute on medium heat for 5 minutes
3. Add pasta to boiling water at beginning of sauce process.
(Tip! A friends Mother once told me to add a wooden spoon to a pot of boiling water and it will never boil over. I can attest to this, it works!)
4. When pasta is al dente, add to sauce and stir. (Note: Add fresh basil if you have it at this point!)
5. Add 1/4 cup of pasta water to pan and cook for another minute.
6. Sprinkle pasta with cheese and stir.
7. Serve immediately.
Serves 4-6 people.