Food Friday Featuring: St. Patricks Day Blondies
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, and I don’t know about you, but I’ve been bombarded with green-tinted goodies everywhere I turn. Generally speaking, I try to avoid feeding my children food dye. This has become a bit of an issue when it comes to decorating cakes, and for example, whipping up a batch of green brownies or cupcakes.
Luckily, I have a recipe that I have been gawking at for quite some time from a lovely Mediterranean blog, “Mom What’s For Dinner?” featuring Turkish-inspired Spinach Cake. I decided to give it a whirl for St. Pattie’s Day, and have made some minor adjustments to make it a bit healthier, and have turned it into a denser brownie, as opposed to a light cupcake.
The beauty of this recipe is that it is a one-dish mix. You can prepare the whole thing in your food processor, much like with other brownie recipes.
Happy Food Friday!
1lb. baby spinach (washed)
1/4 cup coconut oil (softened)
1/4 cup honey
3/4 cup organic cane sugar
2 tbsp. of citrus juice (I used clementine)
1 tbsp. baking powder
1 pinch of salt
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups organic unbleached flour
1. Blend baby spinach until smooth, will yield 1- 1 1/2 cups pureed spinach.
2. Add ingredients in order listed above while on low speed. Do not add flour until all other ingredients have been combined.
3. Push ingredients down to ensure all is combined and return to low speed for another 30 seconds.
4. Add flour in 2 batches, pulsing machine only.
5. When combined pour into greased 8×8 baking pan and bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes.
Allow to cool and top with favorite icing!