Food Friday ~ Sweet Valentine’s Day Heart-Shaped Hand Pies
I think I can safely speak for everyone when I say that we all love Pinterest here at ChildMode. The visuals are always amazing, especially when it comes to food! Today for Food Friday I thought it would be fun to share a simple recipe for Valentine’s Day that kids can help with. My recipe for Heart Shaped Hand Pies was inspired by this yummy looking recipe over at Meet the Dubiens.
Though they look similar to a pop-tart these handpies are actually filled with healthy and simple ingredients. The possibilities are endless when it comes to filling, but the red-ish color seems appropriate for the upcoming holiday.
Heart Shaped Hand Pies
2 cups frozen strawberries
1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1/4 cup of honey (less or more depending on taste)
1 tbsp. of cornstarch to thicken (mixed in cold water)
2 Pkg. of prepared pie dough (or this recipe from The Pioneer Woman)
- Pour all ingredients except cornstarch into pot and bring to a boil.
- Reduce and simmer for 15 minutes
- Add cornstarch and continue simmering for 15 minutes
- Allow to cool to thicken
To Assemble Pies
- Cut dough into desired shape (make sure you count 2 cutouts per pie)
- Add 1-3 tbsp. of filling in center (you may have to experiment depending on size of dough)
- Carefully lay the second piece on top and pinch the edges with a fork to prevent leakage
- Brush with milk or egg
- Bake at 350F for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly browned