Beautiful & Bald Barbie ~ The New Doll For Girls Coping With Cancer

There is something about saying the words cancer, and child in the same sentence that is heart-wrenching. Almost anyone would agree that imagining a child going through this is one of the greatest tragedies a family could face.

Many of you have likely heard of the Beautiful & Bald Facebook campaign started by Jane Bingham – a mother of one who is battling an incurable form of lymphoma. The campaign is targeted at Mattel, to create a Barbie doll that has no hair in order to both comfort young girls who are going through “cancer treatments, Alopecia or Trichotillomania” themselves, and for those whose mothers or other female family members are perhaps going through their own treatment.

Bingham recently received a You Tube video link from a friend sharing 11-year-old Miranda Finn singing a song titled, “Maybe I Can Change This World”. She reached out to Finn and and the song is now Beautiful & Bald Barbie’s theme song. Of the contribution Finn said, “I was so sad to hear about kids fighting cancer and going through so much, including losing their hair,” said Miranda Finn. “It makes me happy to think my song can make them smile.”

You can support the campaign via Facebook here and view Miranda Finn’s song “Maybe I Can Change This World” here.

Heidi Oran

2 Responses to "Beautiful & Bald Barbie ~ The New Doll For Girls Coping With Cancer"

1. amaia

January 17, 2012 at 11:06 pm

i want one <3

2. Laura

January 18, 2012 at 9:01 am

This is discrimination!!! Did you know that 80% of cancer is now curable? This site that promotes this only mentions cancer related diseases. What about Progeria, Keratoconus, maybe you ought to take a grand look at this: http://www.livestrong.com/article/21691-list-rare-fatal-diseases/ . NOw honestly tell me how is what this doll stands for not discrimination against other diseases much more rare and deadly for some? I have written many places and will continue. here are just a few that have already been sent:

RE: Megan Cruz

TO: 1 recipient

I am writing this in reference to this link: http://capitalregion.ynn.com/content/top_stories/570313/thousands-push-for-bald-barbie/ . I am appalled by this. I as many feel it is utterly ridiculous when there is more than just 1 disease that takes far worse from children as well as adults. Imagine having a child who has progeria for instance, they only live their lives a short time, yet a cure has not even come close to being found. Ask these children if they would much rather have 80% cure of the disease being possibly gone and just suffer from only losing hair. I bet they would say they would much rather lose hair than grow old too early and die. How about a child having keratoconus? Losing eyesight is no joke. I bet they too would also say they rather have no hair. The list goes on and on… for Mattel or any other toy company to approve this is discrimination for those children and adults who a cure is next to impossible. Let’s focus on all not just one that has so much funding and cures already. I have also included who I have written along with the letters and I have contacted ACLU (American Civil Liberities Union) about this discrimination.
    Re: USA TODAY – Editorial Department (KMM2570262V4182L0KM)

TO: 1 recipient
    Show Details
    Message body

RE: Is Cancer more important than other diseases?

Message flagged Friday, January 13, 2012 8:57 PMMessage body.
    Let’s cut the arms, legs, eyes and hair off. Heck let’s support all diseases not just single one out. That is wrong! I sent a letter to USA and I am also going to contact ACLU (AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERITIES UNION) let’s see how they deal with this issue..it is discriminating over all other disease which some are rare and much worse. Just cause people want to make awareness for children who lost hair from cancer is morally wrong and discriminating to children who suffer from far worse. I am not trying to be rude by no means however, understand if Mattel does this for this disease Mattel must also honor other disease requests. They would risk facing discrimination suits of all kinds if this doll were to be so if they did not honor other doll requests for other diseases or causes. Hopefully, I explained this enough to make sense in a respectful way.

RE: Favoring a common disease over rare diseases with no cure?
    Message flagged Friday, January 13, 2012 8:21 PMMessage body.
    Children suffer from many diseases, some much more rarer than cancer. What about progeria, keratoconus, Streptococcus Pneumonia Sepsis? These affect old aging, eyesight, loss of limbs. There are many more diseases much worse. For you to support just one doll for Mattel to make for hair loss from cancer is wrong! You are taking part in only awareness of cancer! I am quite certain that children would much rather be without hair and have their lives last longer, eyes to see, or even limbs to play, move and use. This is what one person mentioned about cancer from this site : http://yourlife.usatoday.com/health/story/2012-01-11/Young-cancer-survivor-lobbies-Mattel-for-bald-Barbie/52503118/1#uslPageReturn.
    Amy Hanna Shaffer · Senior Remote Coding Specialist at Lexicode.
    Just because you have cancer does not mean you will die! It seems you are making the two synonymous and they are not! 80% of the 12+ childhood cancers are curable today!
    Now explain how cancer is so much more important than other diseases that are rare and have no cures? I have sent e-mails to Mattel. I have included it for you to read. I will not stop until all disease can be considered. It is actually discrimination over other diseases. Wonder what the ACLU (American Civil Liberities Union) would say about this? Hmmm…RE: Hair or eyesight which is more important?
    Message flagged Friday, January 13, 2012 7:19 PMMessage body.
    RE: hair or eyesight? Which is more important?
    Message flagged Friday, January 13, 2012 6:55 PMMessage body.
    This page I have recently come across,https://www.facebook.com/BeautifulandBaldBarbie.I do not agree and maybe I ought to challenge this one.. I have a rare disease called Keratoconus. It affects 1 out of 2000 people of the general population. Cancer has more cures than my disease. I took an elective surgery to help see a lil longer in my life. The problem is it is no guarentee and there is no definite cure. What about a Barbie for a rare disease instead of a common one? Or does it not matter to you that someone has no vision just only matters that they have hair? Do not misinterpret the point I am trying to get across. I feel for those who have cancer, but c’mon, now days cancer has way more cures, funding, etc.. I much rather have hair than this disease(kertaconus). I took an elective surgery for a cornea transplant and it will only last 10-15 years. Healing process is very slow. I had the surgery back in April 2010 and still do not see out of the eye I had the surgery in. The disease affects both eyes. How would you feel in your early 40’s being takin out of work because you are going blind because of a rare disease with no cure? I will be blind late 50’s early 60’s because this disease I have that is what it does. Cornea transplants only last 10-15 years. So now explain why Mattel feels it is so much more important to have hair rather than eyesight? There should be a barbie for this disease too.

I feel for anyone that suffers from any kind of disease. Are you saying hair is more important than eyesight? By allowing this barbie it says Mattel prefers hair over losing eyesight.Realistically I beg to differ….