Jun

Airline Announces Ban On Babies Flying First Class

Malaysia Airlines has put a new rule into affect that is certain to peeve off quite a few families. After receiving numerous complaints about crying infants from first class passengers, the airline has put a ‘baby ban’ into affect for all infants traveling in first class on their new Airbus A380 and Boeing 747-400 fleet.

If you want to travel on the airline with your baby, you’ll have to book in business or economy.

The CEO of Malaysia Airlines, Tengku Azmil spoke to the Australia Business Traveller and said the new rule was put into affect due to first-class passengers complaining about spending top dollar and not being able to sleep “due to crying infants”. Tengku also confirmed their new ruling via a Twitter exchange:

@tengkuazmil And that is the “no babies in first class’ policy – so no bassinets in 1st on MAS A380?

@AusBT We r planning to stick to our policy for now

The ban is to officially come into effect in June 2012.

What do you think of this new ruling? Should babies be banned from flying first class? Do you think other airlines will follow suit?

10 Responses to "Airline Announces Ban On Babies Flying First Class"

1. Carly

June 28, 2011 at 5:14 pm

I think airlines have gone crazy lately. Fees for everything, kicking people off for the cloths they wear and in at least 2 cases for being disabled, charging returning soldiers baggage fees, and now banning babies. When will the airlines realize that their business is service and specifically serving the passengers. No passengers no business. I found a great site to post about things like this and other travel issues with airlines, hotels and more at airlineslodgingetc.com Check it out.

2. Alex

June 28, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Excellent! I wish more airlines did this, or perhaps had family flights and non-family flights.

3. Howlin

June 28, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Well, if this became a widespread policy among other airlines I would be more ticked off. Parents wouldn’t have an option then, and would be forced to squeeze in business/economy with their baby, which would make flying even more difficult. That being said, if only Malaysia Airlines adopts this I don’t mind as much, since parents can simply choose a different airline, and first class can get their precious sleep. But I don’t think this will be too widespread, because airlines probably recognize that keeping families happy in first class is just as important as keeping individuals happy.

4. Carol45

June 29, 2011 at 8:44 am

I agree with the ban. I pay a crapload of money to fly, parents bring there sick, fussy babies and kids on planes with no regard to anyone else’s health (if I was running a 102 degree fever, coughing, sneezing, etc., I would change my flight, even if it meant more money!) Most parents will not even consider this and just fly anyway with their fussy sick children-maybe this will cause them to think twice about flying when a baby is sick or just way to young to do so…hope ALL airlines do this. Maybe there should just be Family Friendly flights!!!

5. renee mirsky

June 29, 2011 at 9:04 am

Do you like children? You should, you used to !@#$%^&*() BE one, whoever you !@#$%^&*() are.

6. Liz

June 29, 2011 at 9:43 am

It should be up to the parents to determine if their kids can handle a flight, not airlines. Too much control!

7. susan silverman

June 29, 2011 at 10:49 am

It’s about time. I wouldn’t want to pay first class prices and have to listen to a baby cry!

8. Tanya

June 29, 2011 at 12:05 pm

My parents drove everywhere with us when we were young. I understand that is not always possible today with gas and time being huge factors. In saying that, I watch these parents on planes try to juggle kids, computers and diaper bags and– the kid is crying, stuff is falling and I’m like –REALLY? So gotta go with the airline on this one!

I like kids and yeah I used to be one, but not on a plane disturbing others– my parents had more sense than that!!!

Another consideration is I watched a baby suffer from the ear popping thing you get from changing altitude and as an adult you know how painful this is. These parents don’t even consider this with infants and this might be why they can’t get them to stop crying!!!

Common Sense goes a long way when flying—-pull your pants up so we don’t see ur a$$, no bombs in ur shoes, and drive or take the train with your infant!! Be Mad if you want, but other people pay to be on the Plane too and funky diapers and a choir of crying kids was not part of the plan! Oh and, as far as what the airlines should, or should not have control over —
    It’s their plane —- If you paid me to give you a ride somewhere it’s still my car— you get with my rules, or get out!

peace

9. Michael

June 30, 2011 at 12:34 am

Yeah, siding with the airlines on this one. As I usually fly economy I take it as a norm that there’s going to be an upset baby, people need to fly their children out of necessity. But if I paid an exorbitant amount of money for a ticket where I was trying to make a good time out of the experience I would like some peace and quiet. If you want an actual first class experience it’s easy, don’t bring your baby with you.

10. Goldilocks

June 30, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Just last week I was flying first class and this little baby starts screaming in my face and yanking my nose hairs. Maybe it was me that was screaming. Anyhow, I thought ‘I got to do something about this little bundle of joy’.

So I told him the story about Goldilocks and the three bears. Calmed him right down. But then he had the nerve to criticize my delivery. Said I told the story too fast and didn’t sound sincere. And this is from a 9-month old! So then I tried the one about three little pigs. He said my delivery was okay, maybe a C+, but I did the voices all wrong. I’d like to see him try and do it better.