Food Friday Featuring Pistou Soup Perfect For Snowy Days!
We’ve been atrociously sick here at Casa de Carriere and because of this soup has been the main item on the menu these days. I’ve made a huge variety of different soups and broths for the kids, all of which I’m happy to say, have been gobbled up at the first sitting.
This recipe from Jamie Oliver is divine and perfect for the freezing temperatures we’ve been having lately.
• 4 tbsp olive oil
• 1 onion, chopped
• 3 leeks, sliced
• 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
• 3 potatoes, chopped
• 3 carrots, chopped
• 2 fresh bay leaves
• 1 celery stick, chopped
• 1 tbsp chopped parsley
• 3 courgettes, chopped
• 250g baby green beans
• 1 x 400g can cannellini beans, drained
• 1 x 400g can borlotti beans, drained
• 1 x 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 70g small macaroni
• 5 garlic cloves
• Small handful fresh basil leaves
• 60g grated parmesan
• 3 tbsp olive oil
1. Heat the oil in large saucepan over a medium heat and sauté the onion, leeks and garlic for 5 minutes. Add all the other ingredients except the pasta, cover with water, season well and simmer till the vegetables are tender. Add the pasta and simmer till cooked, adding water if the soup is too thick.
2. For the pistou sauce, combine the garlic, basil and sea salt in a mortar and pound with pestle until puréed, add the parmesan and olive oil to make a paste. Serve the soup with a dollop of pistou.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Jamie Oliver