Walt Disney World Resort To Re-Vamp Downtown Disney Into An “Electric Wonderland”
Disney announced their plans to add some interesting and nostalgic elements to downtown Disney, a project that is estimated to create an additional 1,200 jobs in Florida. Pleasure Island will be undergo a makeover turning it into “Hyperion Wharf”, a bustling port district that will offer stylish boutique and innovative restaurants (adding 25% more eateries). In the evening, lit up by thousands of lights, the wharf will transform into an electric wonderland.
In addition to the new wharf district, numerous other projects are underway at Downtown Disney, including:
- A huge overhaul of the Lego Imagination Center, will increase to 3,500 square-feet and will add new Lego exterior models featuring scenes from classic Disney movies.
- Downtown Disney will be taken to the next level with new digital technology, adding in a paradigm-shifting Concession Stand of the Future and Florida’s first Fork & Screen Theater providing a movie-viewing experience at the wharf.
- Many new or renovated retail shops will pop up throughout Downtown Disney.
- New entertainment, such as the Characters in Flight tethered balloon ride, the ETX theater at AMC and an enhanced outdoor performance area.
- Unique shopping experiences like D Street, littlemissmatched, RIDEMAKERZ, Tren-D and Disney’s Design-a-Tee.
- There are also some exciting new restaurants to look forward to such as T-Rex: A Prehistoric Family Adventure and Paradiso 37, in addition to the recently opened Pollo Campero and Fresh A-Peel, a new quick-service restaurant combining authentic Latin-style chicken and side dishes, as well as fresh, healthy creations such as salads, wraps and gluten-free desserts.
You can check out the eye-popping renderings of Disney’s plans below.