Disney Creates More Magic With Exciting New Additions At Castaway Cay
Disney’s very own private island Castaway Cay, located in the tropical waters of the Bahamas, now features additional enhancements, to provide guests with more water-based family-fun, additional conveniences and beachside luxury.
These additional island amenities will be completed within the next several weeks, just in time for special five-night cruises aboard the Disney Wonder with two stops at Castaway Cay, and the Disney Dream cruise ship which starts sailing in early 2011.
“The numerous enhancements and additions planned for Castaway Cay will take the already extraordinary guest experiences on our private island to the next level,” said Disney Cruise Line President Karl Holz. “Whether our guests are seeking recreation or leisure – or a combination of both – they will find it at Castaway Cay, all complemented by unparalleled Disney service.”
Among crystal-clear turquoise waters and soft powdery white sand beaches, the 1,000 acre island will find the following transformations.
- The Castaway Family Beach will be extended by more than 700 feet.
- New Cookies Too is a family lunch buffet location serving mouth-watering, all-you-care-to-eat barbeque, island spiced rotisserie chicken, burgers, grilled fish, fresh salads, flatbreads, ice cream, complimentary soda and more, in a covered pavilion just steps away from the expanded family beach.
- New Sand Bar beach bar mixing up drinks like Castaway Cay’s signature Konk Kooler, other tropical concoctions, cold beer and non-alcoholic beverages.
- New Flippers & Floats beach rentals provides inner tubes, snorkels, masks and fins.
- New Buy the Sea Shore merchandise location sells a variety of Castaway Cay-exclusive items along with towels, sunscreen and other beach essentials – a complement to the island’s other merchandise location, She Sells Sea Shells & everything else.
The New Water Feature and Water Play Areas:
- Pelican Plunge is the exciting new 2,400-square-foot floating platform decorated with sailing ornamentation, located within swimming distance from shore. The two water slides – an enclosed corkscrew slide and a 140-foot-long open slide, take guests on a wild, twisting ride that ends with a splash into the lagoon. In addition, a giant “bucket dump” delivers hundreds of gallons of water, soaking guests. Shooting fun is provided with the four water cannons with floating nautical targets approximately 20 feet away.
- Spring-a-Leak: This brand-new, 2,400-square-foot water play area, is great for little ones wanting to cool off. What appears to be the remnants of a washed-away beach dwelling, features dripping pipes, broken plumbing and hissing misters, all that have been exposed and twisted by the tropical tempest that wiped out the original structure (very Pirates of the Caribbean).
- The Splash Pad is fabulous for babies and tots, with spraying and squirting water jets.
- Scuttle’s Cove, provides a 1,200 square foot soft wet deck area with an assortment of geysers, pop jets and bubblers. There is also a chance for youth to take part in supervised activities during their visit at Castaway Cay. This is the new “hub” of the island.
- New Beach Cabanas! 20 premium rental cabanas are available to guests providing privacy while on the island. Each one of these 325-square-foot cabanas are furnished with cushioned chairs, luxurious chaise lounge chairs, stylish side tables, a dining table, a refrigerator, lockable storage unit, fresh water shower (outdoors) and a sail cloth for shade on the deck. There are a handful of private cabanas available for adults-only who choose to relax on Serenity Bay Beach.
Other News and Additions:
- The popular Castaway Ray’s Stingray Adventure will be moved to a larger location in the lagoon.
- An all-new secluded “Hide Out” is a special teen retreat, offering multi-colored deck chairs, shades, and a cool place to relax, listen to music and chill.
- In Da Shade Game Pavilion is a shaded structure providing an area to play games such as table tennis, foosball, billiards and basketball.
- The new Pelican Point Tram Stop will offer guest transportation to and from various points on the island.
- Marge’s Barges & Sea Charters Dock will be expanded to accommodate additional excursion boats for parasailing, fishing tours and more.
Also, now Disney Cruise Line sails to Castaway Cay on all itineraries originating from Port Canaveral, Fla!
Photo Credit: Disney Cruise Line