Walt Disney World Resort: Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival
The 17th annual Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival at Walt Disney World Resort is underway!
In Lake Buena Vista, Florida from March 3-May 16, visitors will be able to admire the 30 million blooms, half a million plants, 60 tons of topiary and 600 native butterflies representing up to 10 species. Fawn’s Butterfly House is a gazebo styled hut filled with lush plants such as Cape Royal plumbago, passion flower, coral honeysuckle, blazing star, butterfly bush, scarlet milkweed and canna lily. Butterflies flock to these nectar plants and guests can view them through the screened enclosure.
More than 70 Disney character topiaries represent the largest collection of Disney character topiary in the world and include classic film stars like Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck, Daisy Duck, Goofy, Pluto, Cinderella and Tinker Bell. At 14 feet tall, Goofy is the tallest character topiary ever created!
60 different specials of trees, 47 types of palms, 48 varieties of bedding plants and 700 container gardens are seen throughout Epcot. Grasses and mosses, pink and red begonias, dusty miller, palm fiber, palm seeds, ficus and lichen, are used to create and define features of the festival topiaries. There is more color in this presentation then ever seen at Walt Disney World in the past.
Fun activities include:
- 198 hands-on gardening demonstrations and seminars
- Forty-four “flower towers” of impatiens line Innoventions Plaza.
- The Fragrance Garden presented by Guerlain at the France pavilion reveal 15 of the floral, herbal and spice ingredients found in 10 popular perfumes.
- 120 floating mini-gardens, each three feet in diameter, on two ponds that border the walkway between Future World and World Showcase.
- A weekend Flower Power concert series including 11 artists and groups with 126 Top 40 hits, including 16 No. 1 songs. This year’s musical hit-makers from the 1960s and ’70s.
If you are interested in attending the 17th annual Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival please visit www.disneyworld.com/flower or call 407/W-DISNEY for more information.
Photo Credit: Walt Disney World Resort (Gene Duncan, photographer)