2010 Stroller Preview: Silver Cross Surf Pushchair

Silver Cross has recently unveiled their brand new combination stroller system, The Surf. Surf – as the name suggests is all about the ride – in town, on the beach, in the park, in fact anywhere.

Built to an extremely high specification, the Surf is the world’s first stroller/pushchair to use ultra-lightweight magnesium alloy castings! Over one third lighter than aluminum, magnesium is normally used by aerospace companies as well as top-of-the-range motorbike and car manufacturers, such as Ducati and Porsche.

Due to this innovation, the Chassis and Seat Unit are extremely light and fold down to a size that will fit with in the narrowest of hallways and tiniest car boots (even fitting into a classic Mini). This stroller has two advantages over other combination systems: it has the only Seat Unit that can be used from birth (without a carrycot), and it has a uniquely smooth air-spring suspension system complete with front forks and a rear wishbone, allowing it to glide over the ground. The exceptional maneuverability results in a ‘pushing experience’ and ride that is so smooth that it feels as though the stroller is literally “surfing” the terrain.

The seat unit can face forwards or backwards, the handle is height adjustable and the pneumatic rear tires are filled with a puncture-free foam. A padded Seat Unit, Carrycot and Baby Nest ensure the ultimate level of comfort for your child.

Surf’s Seat Unit and Chassis are available in three colors – Linen, Slate and Black – and come complete with the Baby Nest, Rain Cover and Insect Net. For further coordination, the Hood, Apron, Seat liner and Parasol have been packaged individually so that parents can choose whichever colors they want, from Chili, Black, Lilac, Tangerine, Lime, Slate and Linen.

Anyone wanting a Carrycot (that comes with its own hood and apron) or a Ventura Plus 0+ Car Seat, which instantly turns Surf into a fantastic travel system, can add them for a further £150 and £115.

Cross Snugs (sleeping bag style footmuffs) are also available in a range of colors for £35.

Suitable from birth to 15kg
Weight: Surf Chassis with rear wheels weigh approximately 7kg
Surf Seat Unit weight: approx. 3.2kg
Folded size: 72 x 59 x 28cm

This stroller will be available to the public starting from 25th March 2010. For more information please visit Silver Cross.

Photo Credit: ©Silver Cross

8 Responses to "2010 Stroller Preview: Silver Cross Surf Pushchair"

1. phill tubman

May 18, 2010 at 2:10 pm

please can u send me a price guide to the surf pushcair as i cant seem to find any prices online. thank you

2. shush

August 3, 2010 at 1:38 pm

i like the new silver cross “surf” n would like 2 get the price.
    thanks. shush.

3. l finnigan

August 23, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Weve got one and the baby does not lye flat in the baby snug which is supposed to be from birth. I`ve emailed Silvercross about and it and they have not bothered to reply. So personally I wouldn`t buy the Silvercross Surf. If anything the baby snug restricts the babys airway. And the customer service is rubbish. Wasted hundreds.

4. g ridley

October 21, 2010 at 4:09 am

lovely pram, but wouldnt suggest putting a newborn in the snug as they dont lie comfortably flat seems to be lieing on a anglewhich doesne look right.

5. Andy Carroll

December 15, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I’ve had the Surf for 1 month now and it is fantastic. Both the car seat and the snug are fantastic – he sleeps in it very happily. But from our perspective, the system moves around really easily and folds really simply (the wife took a few goes to get used to it, but once she worked it out there was no looking back!)

The snug works really well – I’ve seen a few comments saying that it is dangerous and I can’t see why – perhaps some people have set it up incorrectly? I think the idea is that it is a wedge which fits into the angled section (which acts as a seat later). We thought it was a bit strange at first, but when we moved the snug up to the higher level it was fine.

The whole system, including the car seat cost me around £600 which is hundreds less than the Bugaboo I was going to get.

I bought the Surf because I would prefer to buy from an English company and I’m not disappointed by the Surf. I’m a designer and I’ve had loads of comments about how great it looks as well!

6. ChildMode

December 18, 2010 at 7:32 pm

Thank you very much for sharing your experience and thoughts on the Surf! ;)

7. Laura taylor

March 3, 2011 at 7:24 am

I bought the surf for my new born as it is advertised as suitable for a new born it wasn’t. The snug meant her bum and lower body was lifted up but her shoulders then sank down resulting in her chin being on her chest and her neck all wrong.

I complained there was no way I was pushing my baby in that. I ended up agreeing to buy the carry cot but due to a delay on orders for them I ended up with the shop display one which actually saved me £30 but still set mr back £120 on top of what I’d already paid!

I complained to silver cross who advised there was a new insert for the newborn snug and sent it out to me. My daughter is now 3 and a half months old and the carry cot is getting too small so I have put her in the pushchair bit with the new insert (tried without but she’s still too small) the new insert is better but not great and not what I expected for the money I have spent!

Her chin is still on her chest! Not happy with it at all. On top of all this I also had a problem with the base sticking and had to send it back. They said I was not putting it down correctly! I was stranded in the rain with a six week old baby and a pram base that would not fold down and I had to get a family member to rescue me as I couldn’t get it in my car. For this after 5 weeks silver cross gave me £20 in vouchers when I have spent the best part of £700 prob more!

I uses the vouchers to buy the basket which you can’t actually fit anything in! And there is a delay on them until may anyway – I got one they had in the office after going mad that the wait was until may.

Overall bad customer service, long waiting times for carry cot and basket and not suitable from birth – buy a different pram!

8. charlotte hughes

May 13, 2011 at 4:38 pm

I bought the surf and was over joyed with it … I raved about it to everyone and anyone who would listen it was a dream to push , it looks fabulous and everybody comments on it….. but last week the chassis snapped whilst my daughter was strapped into it causing what I felt was a safety issue. It was very difficult trying to get her out with one hand whilst also trying to stop the whole pram collapsing with the other … The shine has gone off it now. I have returned it to the shop and they have offered to replace the chassis . I have called silver cross to see what they think about it as I dont really want another now my daughters safety has been compromised…. There is obviously a fault with the chassis as I have read lots of people have returned them . Basically I have been fobbed off something which i never expected from silver cross and told not their issue I need to speak to my supplier . I’m not very happy